Client Rights & Responsibilities
ASYR shall respect the rights of persons served. ASYR shall provide written material that outlines the rights and responsibilities of clients including but not limited to the right to be treated with dignity and respect and without discrimination; the right to privacy and confidentiality; the right to be served within a safe and secure service environment; the right to make a complaint about the services they receive and/or a suggestion that can help ASYR plan new services or review and improve existing services.
Clients may access services that are free from abuse, humiliation, exploitation, retaliation, and neglect. Clients have the responsibility to treat other clients and staff with respect.
Clients shall be asked to participate actively in the planning of services provided; to have access to their own records, if desired; and to tell us when they have to cancel an appointment or have decided to discontinue services. Clients shall be invited to complete a satisfaction survey during or after their service is completed to give us feedback on whether they found our services helpful, and how we might improve our services or provide new services.
You have a right to:
- substance free, smoke/vapour free, and scent sensitive environment when you come to ASYR. Illegal substances are prohibitive at all ASYR sites. Please inform staff if legal substances, prescription medications, and non-prescription medications are brought in, as ASYR has
procedures for handling of certain items brought into program sites.
- personal safety and respect when you come to ASYR.
- a letter confirming your attendance at ASYR (should you need it for court, CAS, probation, etc.)
- choose whether or not to participate in the group discussions. We encourage clients to participate in accordance with their own level of comfort.
You have a responsibility to:
- Abstain from drug and alcohol use prior to coming to ASYR.
*If we believe you have used drugs or alcohol prior to coming to ASYR, staff will have a conversation with you in private, ask that you come back on a day when you have not been using and plan a safe ride home.
- Refrain from using, wearing or displaying strong scented perfumes, colognes, deodorizers, sprays, or other items with a strong scent.
- Treat other clients and staff with respect. Please ensure that what you say and how you behave at ASYR are non-offensive and respectful of diversity (gender, socioeconomic status, ability/disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religion, substance use goals, stage of change, etc.). *If we feel that your actions are disrespectful, staff will have a private conversation about inappropriate behaviour and welcome you back only if you are able to maintain appropriate behaviour. If not, you will be asked to leave.
- Arrive on time and ensure your name is on the attendance list each time you attend an ASYR group. If your name is not on the list, your attendance will not be acknowledged, therefore please ensure that you check in with reception. You are expected to arrive on time and stay until the end. If you arrive more than 20 minutes late or if you leave early, your attendance will not be counted.
- Report any flu-like symptoms or fever to your counsellor before coming into ASYR. If a client comes to the office and has, or reports, flu-like symptoms or other infectious illness, he/she will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
- Make sure you are able to receive our phone calls. Our number comes up as a private number on call display, so if your phone blocks private calls, we will not be able to contact you. If we do not have your permission to leave a message, we will not leave a message and will stop calling if we are unable to contact you. If you have requested a message with a name and number only, please return these calls even if you do not recognize the counsellor’s name.
- Keep your participation focused on yourself in relation to the topic being discussed. Please do not talk about other people in the group setting. Please keep your participation and questions within the scheduled hours of the group so we are able to finish on time.
- Maintain confidentiality for other group members (including not identifying them as clients of ASYR and not naming them or telling their stories outside of the group).
- Give your counsellor at least five (5) business days notice of your need for the letter. Please give your counsellor the name and address of the person/ organization you would like the letter for (we do not give “To Whom it May Concern” letters). You will be asked to sign a consent form when you request the letter.