Court Diversion & Court Support
Are you involved in the criminal justice system?
Are you also experiencing problems relating to substance use or problem gambling?
The Court Diversion & Court Support Program focuses on re-directing individuals from the criminal justice system, when possible, to appropriate addiction and mental health services within the community.
Who We Help
This program is designed for those who:
- Live in York Region
- Are 12 years old and above
- Have a substance use issue
- Are involved in the criminal justice system
- Are not likely to re-offend with appropriate supports and treatment
- Do not pose a risk to the community
How We Help
The program offers:
- Ongoing support to the individual and to families throughout the court process, even if they are not eligible for diversion
- Consulting with client and duty counsel or their lawyer
- Assisting clients with requests or questions they may have for duty counsel or their lawyer
- Coordinating a return to court date with client and duty counsel or lawyer
- Consultation with clients’ CMHA worker
- Following up on clients’ progress outside of court
- Providing consultation, education, and advocacy regarding concurrent disorders to clients’ support networks and to court staff
- Assisting individuals in accessing legal aid, bail and other necessary services
- Referring individuals to appropriate social services and support networks
Where We Help
- The Court Diversion & Court Support program is offered at the Newmarket Courthouse.